cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Serializer configuration, was: [status & RT] design challenges
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:47:46 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
> >
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> <skip/>
>
> > > 1) serializers don't have full access to the component environment
> > > and some want this to be changed
> > >

> > The major need is to be able to access the SourceResolver. I haven't
> > seen any good use case where a Serializer needs to access something
> else
> > in the environment.
>
> Many of the Cocoon components accept configuration when declared in the
> components part of the sitemap. Examples:
> TraxTransformer:
>   <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
> I18nTransformer:
>   <catalogue-name>messages</catalogue-name>
> HTMLSerializer:
>   <buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>
> SVGSerializer:
>   <parameter name="quality" type="float" value="0.9"/>
>
> All of these components (with one exception) allow overriding global
> defaults at the moment of component usage:
>
> TraxTransformer:
>   <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="false"/>
> I18nTransformer:
>   <map:parameter name="catalogue-name" value="messages"/>
>
> Now you can guess the exception: serializers. They are the only
> components which do not allow overriding defaults.
>
> The question is where the error in design is. Is it in allowing
> serializer to have a configuration or in disabling the ability to
> override this configuration?

Good point, I agree this is an unnecessary drawback.

Ok, listen: if enough people whan this to change, maybe it's time to do
it.

I think you and Sylvain know more about the internals of the pipelines
that I do, so I'll turn my votes on the serializers to -0 and trust you
guys.

Just one think: keep caching concerns *very* clear in mind.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.