cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Serializer configuration, was: [status & RT] design challenges
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 15:00:35 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>

><skip/>
>
>>>1) serializers don't have full access to the component environment
>>>and some want this to be changed
>>>
>>The major need is to be able to access the SourceResolver. I haven't
>>seen any good use case where a Serializer needs to access something
>>else in the environment.
>>

>Many of the Cocoon components accept configuration when declared in the
>components part of the sitemap. Examples:
>TraxTransformer:
>  <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
>I18nTransformer:
>  <catalogue-name>messages</catalogue-name>
>HTMLSerializer:
>  <buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>
>SVGSerializer:
>  <parameter name="quality" type="float" value="0.9"/>
>
>All of these components (with one exception) allow overriding global
>defaults at the moment of component usage:
>
>TraxTransformer:
>  <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="false"/>
>I18nTransformer:
>  <map:parameter name="catalogue-name" value="messages"/>
>
>Now you can guess the exception: serializers. They are the only
>components which do not allow overriding defaults.
>
>The question is where the error in design is. Is it in allowing
>serializer to have a configuration or in disabling the ability to
>override this configuration?
>
>Comments? (Stefano?)

Good point, Vadim. This is the same kind of issue you raised with view
labels : if we want to use the same serializer with different
configurations, we have to create new components, with the associated
resource overhead, while allowing Serializers to have parameters would
avoid it.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez