cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Search Engine Optimization and Cocoon (long!)
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:13:51 GMT
Bert,

Thanks for the great read!

> Part 7: other things you should know
> A. Querystrings (everything behind a ? in the URL)
> Most major search engines hate querystrings.  They assume that the
> query strings are used for database access and dynamic page
> generation.  This can give them a "black hole" where they eventually
> index a complete database.  Altavista clearly states that they will
> index a page with querystrings, but won't follow any links.  Google is
> one of the first to start indexing pages with querystrings.  They are
> very coutious and will go only a certain levels.

Now that we can effectively rewrite page URLs without query strings
using C2, do you think it's simply a matter of resubmitting to search
engines to remove any existing search engine links to the "old" pages?
In the meantime, I suppose we could leave up a pipeline up, that maps
the old URLs with query strings to the new URL without query strings
(and monitor logs to determine when/if to delete them down the road.)

Would that be your approach for updating old sites?

Diana