cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: tracks/titles [was: Re: --- Help with document classification ---]
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:29:40 GMT
On Friday 26 April 2002 11:19, Diana Shannon wrote:
>. . .
> Do you think these need separate classification, or should they be
> how-tos (with links to other how-tos), categorized as tracks?
>. . .

I see the tracks as part of the navigation, which could be:

a) search-based ("googling through the docs")
b) track-based ("what do you want to study")
c) document-type based ("faqs", "guides", etc.)

In this view tracks documents are orthogonal to the rest of the
documentation, so yes, a separate classification.

Either there are "tracks" XML documents that point to other docs and need to
be properly maintained, or (parts of?) documents that need to be included in
a track contain attributs like

<belongs-to-track track-name="html-publishing" chapter="intro"
position="250"/>

Where position is a relative ID used to sort the document when creating the
track.

>. . .
> What if we also added a one-sentence description of the piece, along
> with title and last modified date, to be returned with search results?
>. . .

Certainly useful, but the "official document names" are very important IMHO
so that the user knows what is what.

-Bertrand