cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:24:41 GMT
> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
> We are struggling a little bit with the differences between the JDK
1.3
> and JDK 1.4 with regards to the JDBC interfaces.
>
> We have one class (EsqlConnection) implementing the
java.sql.Connection
> interface. Unfortunately this interface has changed in JDK 1.4.
>
> This little change forces us to test during compilation(!) of Cocoon
> whether we are in a 1.3 or in a 1.4 environment and changing with the
> ant build script the source of the EsqlConnection class.
>
> This mechanism works of course but has the great disadvantage that
> Cocoon compiled with JDK 1.3 does not work with JDK 1.4 and even worse
> Cocoon is not compilable without the ant script!
>
> Now, a hacky solution for this would be that we include the required
> JDK 1.4 interfaces (java.sql.Connection and three more) in Cocoon only
> for compilation, so we would avoid compile errors.
>
> So, is this
> a) a good idea ?

I don't think so. See EsqlConnection:

-----------------
@JDBC3_START@
    public void setHoldability(int holdability)
        throws SQLException
    {
        connection.setHoldability(holdability);
    }

When compiled with JDK1.4, and used on JDK1.3, connection.setHoldability
would not be found and class (EsqlConnection) would not be loaded.

Vadim