cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] map:redirect-to vs. map:forward
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:01:16 GMT
From: "Konstantin Piroumian" <KPiroumian@protek.com>

> > From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> > From: "Konstantin Piroumian" <KPiroumian@protek.com>
> >

> > > I'd like to propose to add a <map:forward path="" /> node
> > to sitemap.
> > > Behavior should be the same as <map:redirect-to
> > uri="cocoon:/..." />.
> >
> > What's different from current map:call ?
> >
> >         <map:call resource="dynamic-page">
> >            <map:parameter name="target" value="{../target}1"/>
> >         </map:call>
>
> Isn't map:call used only with resources? With <map:redirect-to
> uri="cocoon:/..." /> you forward your request to any another pipeline and
> not to resource. So, <map:forward /> should replace the <map:redirect />
> syntax with a more appropriate one.

Ok, then can someone please explain me what resources are for?

I don't like redirects at all, because they tend to spread logic in parts of
the sitemap; these pipelines are part of a algorithm only in the developers
mind.
No explicit contract, and it's difficult to maintain.

redirects==GOTO
GOTO==bad
--> redirect==bad

The flowmap will eliminate needs for redirects, like whiles and ifs
eliminated the need for gotos.

I'm -1 for this, unless you can show me that the flow system is not able to
supplant the need for redirects.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -