cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Heid <h...@fh-heilbronn.de>
Subject AW: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:34:50 GMT
It should be possible to use the proxy api for that I think.

There would be a little performance disadvantage and you need 1.3 or
above but it would work....

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. April 2002 12:20
An: Cocoon-Dev
Betreff: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue

We are struggling a little bit with the differences between the JDK 1.3
and JDK 1.4 with regards to the JDBC interfaces.

We have one class (EsqlConnection) implementing the java.sql.Connection
interface. Unfortunately this interface has changed in JDK 1.4.

This little change forces us to test during compilation(!) of Cocoon
whether we are in a 1.3 or in a 1.4 environment and changing with the
ant build script the source of the EsqlConnection class.

This mechanism works of course but has the great disadvantage that
Cocoon compiled with JDK 1.3 does not work with JDK 1.4 and even worse
Cocoon is not compilable without the ant script!

Now, a hacky solution for this would be that we include the required JDK
1.4 interfaces (java.sql.Connection and three more) in Cocoon only
for compilation, so we would avoid compile errors.

So, is this
a) a good idea ?
b) allowed     ?

Comments are welcome