cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [status & RT] design challenges
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:47:45 GMT
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> > Without putting too much thinking, one simple possible optimization that
> > comes to mind is: when the document preceding the selector is cached
then
> > the selector does not need to evaluate the tests. It'll know the answer.
> > So if a web service responds with the same content, i.e. reports that
the
> > result didn't change, then you can imagine that the selector is going to
be
> > pretty fast.
> >

> > > Do you pipe-aware selector fans see my point?
> >
> > I totally support your efforts to challange anything new to the extreme,
> > before it makes it in CVS.
> > This is one certain way to ensure that Cocoon will not explode before
its
> > 5th birthday.
>
> Ok, the web service example is a good one: I admit that pipe-aware
> selection in this case makes perfect sense because we are *not* in
> control of what comes out of the web service and SOAP places everything
> (even control metadata) inside the envelope (which is a *big* design
> mistake, but we can't change this).
>
> Another example is WebDAV: I'm planning to try to think of a way to add
> WebDAV support to resources using views... more or less like Zope does
> but in a more transparent way (Zope support for WebDAV is fake: it's
> simply a tranport protocol, not a way to handle separate 'inward'
> 'views' of the resource, as it was supposed to be). Even WebDAV
> (expecially DeltaV) pass much metainfo inside the XML stream, being able
> to select that would make sense.

I would like to point out that I've known 3 developers that use Cocoon.
*All* of them use pipe-aware processing, and don't understand the "double"
nature of Cocoon.

They Aggregate the XML Request and the Document and program using XSLT.

Not that I love it, but it seems that pipe-aware processing is more
intuitive...

            - verba volant, scripta manent -