cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <>
Subject Serializer configuration, was: [status & RT] design challenges
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:30:29 GMT
> From: Sylvain Wallez []
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > 1) serializers don't have full access to the component environment
> > and some want this to be changed
> >
> The major need is to be able to access the SourceResolver. I haven't
> seen any good use case where a Serializer needs to access something
> in the environment.

Many of the Cocoon components accept configuration when declared in the
components part of the sitemap. Examples:
  <parameter name="quality" type="float" value="0.9"/>

All of these components (with one exception) allow overriding global
defaults at the moment of component usage:

  <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="false"/>
  <map:parameter name="catalogue-name" value="messages"/>

Now you can guess the exception: serializers. They are the only
components which do not allow overriding defaults.

The question is where the error in design is. Is it in allowing
serializer to have a configuration or in disabling the ability to
override this configuration?

Comments? (Stefano?)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: