cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: various copies of DTDs within Cocoon
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:37:19 GMT
From: "David Crossley" <crossley@indexgeo.com.au>

> OK. This is why i did not just rush in and rationalise Cocoon
> CVS to have only one copy of DTDs to avoid confusion.
> We need to discuss this issue.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to leave the two copies in their
> respective places and just live with it until some future
> technology takes over down the track.

+1

>  The trouble is that
> there are even more DTD copies scattered across our CVS and
> out-of-sync (e.g. webapp/samples/tutorial/ and webapp/tutorial/).

:-/

> Nicola, i expect you have probably needed to deal with
> a similar issue in Centipede and Forrest. Any clues?

Well, I removed at first the local DTDs, since to generate the docs I rely
on the Forrest ones.
But developers were getting *really* uneasy, and I was forced by evidence to
put a copy back in there.
I use Coocktop (free xml editor) and it uses AFAIK the path specified in the
doctype, so I had the same problem.

What we could do technically, is to keep the DTDs away from the
documentation and reference from the docs to /that/ path.
It's ugly, I know, but it seems like the only possible solution ATM; I had
to do this also with XSL imports in other projects, and it seems like
history repeating.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -