cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivelin Ivanov" <ive...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [status & RT] design challenges
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2002 15:25:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ovidiu Predescu" <ovidiu@apache.org>
To: "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>
Cc: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [status & RT] design challenges

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:03:25 -0600, "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>
wrote:

> > I dare to challange our sitemap gurus to make a comparative analisys of
the
> > Jakarta Workflow engine and C2 sitemap.
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/workflow/
>
> Workflow's approach appears to be based on a finite state machine
> model. Checkout the sample control file at:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/workflow/src/wizard-de
mo/WEB-INF/wizard.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> The same approach can be modeled in Cocoon today using actions.
>
> However a much better approach is the one based on
> continuations. Check out the Schecoon calculator sample at:

I have actually seen it and was hoping that you can elaborate a bit on the
advantages of continuations vs. state machine.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-cocoon2/src/scratchpad/schecoon/webapp/exa
mples/calc/calc.js?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> and look at the additional resources used by it.
>
> It is my opinion that this model provides a much better way of
> describing the flow in Web applications and perhaps in Web services as
> well.

How so? I would like to understand more.

Ivelin