cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] user-components.xconf
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:21:54 GMT
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> In order to integrate self-written components we currently only have
> user-roles to make these components available to the component manager.
> But the configuration of these components still needs to be added to the
> cocoon.xconf. This is IMHO dead ugly and bad for upgrade and maintainace
> cycles.
> We should be able to have a separate configuration besides the
> configuration for the core components. We should be able to define a
> user.xconf. (or better user-components.xconf?)
>
> I've looked into Avalon but didn't find anything appropriate in Framework
> nor Excalibur. In Cornerstone there is a CascadingConfiguration which
> could give us easily a working user.xconf. Although I tried a little to
> push it does not seem to make it into Excalibur or Framework. So here my
> question: instead of having a full Cornerstone jar around (because of this
> single class) should we adopt the code in out codebase? As much as I hate
> duplicate code I also like to see this functionality!
>
> What do you guys think?

This issue should be addressed by the recent thread about Cocoon
Blocks. We have pin-pointed the fact that cocoon.xconf (as well as any
roles files asociated with it) must be arranged in a hierarchical way
similar to the sitemaps itself. This will allow Cocoon Blocks to be
independant and selfcontained so that a future deployment process can be
build as like avalon-phoenix is duing with their SAR concept.

Giacomo