cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Elias Karakoulakis <eka...@manolito.image.ece.ntua.gr>
Subject ESQL rewrite proposal
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:50:29 GMT
Hello All,

I have opened a bug case in bugzilla for the ESQL logicsheet: it doesn't
behave correctly for some kinds of grouped resultsets (<esql:group>). I
have tried to debug the logicsheet but it's far too complex to understand
(yet alone debug...) Suffice to say that most logicsheets in the same dir
are about 10-20kb in size, and esql.xsl is about 55kb (plus the size of
the accompanying Esql*.java classes)

A rather daunting question: would it be wise for use to be thinking about
reimplementing the ESQL logicsheet, just to scale down its complexity? I
have rewritten the xsd schema, simplifying the <esql:get-*>
elements.. (really, why did there had to be a separate element for each
datatype?). Another big problem is that of poor documentation: Except from
the userdoc "howto", there is very little to go from there.. I think that
starting from a properly documented schema would be of major importance.

I am attaching a schema I derived from the one that I downloaded from
2.0.2-dev CVS. It doesn't contain any definitions for grouping
functionality yet, because I think there's an inherent problem in the
logicsheet architecture: helper classes like EsqlQuery.java cannot trigger
events or callbacks, and the result is that there is lot of ugly boolean
flags all over the place.

Please take a look at the schema and post any thoughts you might
have...thanks!

Elias