cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Lon Boonen" <...@q42.nl>
Subject RE: Wyona / Xopus (IE vs.Mozilla)
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:30:16 GMT
Hi Michael,

I may be taking Laurens with me for the conference. He is more into Xopus
specs than I am.

About publishing the specs... we have to set it up yet...

Would there be sleeping room for the two of us?

Lon

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Wechner [mailto:cocoond@wyona.org]
Sent: maandag 11 maart 2002 12:13
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Wyona / Xopus (IE vs.Mozilla)

Hi Lon, nice seeing you here:-)

Where does Laurens post the functional specification for Xopus?

All the best

Michael

Lon Boonen wrote:

>>"Robert S. Koberg" wrote:
>>I thought Xopus uses an ActiveX to control the editing.
>>No, it's everything javascript based (with calls to MSXML)
>>I could not even see their pagesbecause I don't not browse the internet
with them on anymore
>>(especiallysites made by guys like you :)
>>Exactly, ActiveX is potentially too dangerous but no, they don't usethis
technology and nobody is
>>planning to use it.

>Well, no, Xopus is actually using a little bit ActiveX, but just for the
Autosave mechanismn.
>The rest is Javascript and MSXML.

I am sorry! I totally forgot the FileSystemObject we are instantiating. That
is because I never saw the auto-save feature as being part of Xopus.

What I meant was that we NEVER build any ActiveX. But some of the standard
Windows ActiveX components are used by use. The autosave function uses
FileSystemObject, which obviously is a VERY dangerous component since it has
virtually unrestricted access to your harddisk.

>But for professional authoring and editing you definitely need an autosave
function.
>("Newspaper editors" just dont't use the save (in between) button. I think
>they actually ignore it on purpose:-)

I agree.
In IE5.5 we could save a draft into a supercookie (up to 640KB is supported
this way!).
Netscape would be a problem though (as always).
I will tell Laurens, who is writing the Functional Specification for the new
Xopus, to include this feature.

>One last general remark:
>I think all of you are too much concentrated on how to implement this stuff
technically.
>It is actually already implemented! Maybe not too good and not on Mozilla.
>What I want to say is, that we should more focuse on functional
specifications, which
>certainly doesn't forbid to vote on fixing bugs (which I did), but which
will be the
>foundation for the implementation.

I agree even more.

So! Tell us. What functionalities do you want in the next Xopus?

Lon, Q42