cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Topping" <topp...@digidemic.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Avoiding Cocoon Thermal Death
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:25:42 GMT
These three points give me consideration of the FreeBSD 'pkgadd'
facility and how it might apply here.  I'm not suggesting that we bite
off a network package installer for the first go, but I do believe the
requirements should facilitate the smooth development of one.

In essence, there would be a Cocoon application that was a package
manager, and the package manager would allow for other packages to be
added, current packages to be scanned and updated for recent versions,
packages removed, etc.  Eventually, the package manager would make it
into the standard distribution.

$0.02, FWIW...

:B

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Stefano Mazzocchi
	Sent: Wed 13.3.2002 7:30
	To: Apache Cocoon
	Subject: [RT] Avoiding Cocoon Thermal Death

	<snip/>

	 1) the notion of 'deployment descriptor' breaks clean IoC. The
package
	should *NOT* contain any information about the external system,
but only
	information about its internals and, eventually, generic
requirements on
	services it needs to operate.

	 2) WARs are, themselves, monolythic. Instead, the Avalon Blocks
exhibit
	a polymorphic nature and can be 'componentized' in order to
create a
	higher functional environment.

	 3) because WARs are seen as applications and not modules, there
is no
	notion of dependencies, nor ability to perform a portable
cross-war
	communication, nor the ability to have polymorphic behavior of
services
	presented.

	<snip/>