cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Substractive view labels [was : Re: aggregate and views : what'sthe correct behaviour ?]
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:07:08 GMT
volker.schmitt@basf-it-services.com wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>So my proposal was to allow to locally "substract" a label defined at
>>the component level. The above snippet would then become :
>>
>>  <map:match pattern="body-todo.xml">
>>    <map:generate type="file" src="xdocs/todo.xml" label="-content"/>
>>    <map:transform src="stylesheets/todo2document.xsl" label="content"/>
>>    <map:transform src="stylesheets/document2html.xsl"/>
>>    <map:serialize/>
>>  </map:match>
>>
>>>This is about a todo that says "View must start not from the first
>>>encountered label, but from the last one".
>>>

>If Views start from the last label, which IMHO make sence, but then
>label="-content" is unnecessary.

Why does it make sense ? Sorry, but I think the opposite :
- from a user point of view, knowing when branching will occur can
become a nightmare since you have to crawl all branches that can
participate in a request handling (matchers, selectors, actions,
resource calls, etc) in search for this last label,
- implementation will be difficult, as it requires the whole regular
pipeline (the view-less one) to be built before deciding at which point
should occur branching,
- corrolary of the previous point, building the regular pipeline may
have some side effects (e.g. actions) _after_ the branching label, but
we cannot know beforehand that these actions shouldn't have been
executed because they're not in the view.

So can you please elaborate more ?

<snip what="approval of aggregate proposal"/>

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez