cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Substractive view labels [was : Re: aggregate and views : what'sthe correct behaviour ?]
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:53:57 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> This is about a todo that says "View must start not from the first
> encountered label, but from the last one". Here's below Vadim's answer
> to my request for enlightment about it :
>
>  > Vadim wrote :
>  >> Sylvain wrote :
>
> >> Also I'm not sure this is a good thing (can be confusing) and it
> >> would be difficult to implement.
>
> > Take a look at the documentation pipeline. Right know it requires hacks
> > like this:
> > ------------8<--------------
> >  <map:generators default="file">
> >   <map:generator  name="file"
> > src="org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator" label="content"/>
> >   <!-- FIXME: Change this once better view handling is implemented -->
> >   <map:generator  name="file-nolabel"
> > src="org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator"/>
> >  </map:generators>
> > ------------8<--------------
>
> > Yes, it works for now but it is just a hack to overcome current views
> > implementation.
>
> > To defend my point even further... If you think about this in the
> > context "one sitemap per user", "hosting environment", and take into
> > account that every <map:generator/> line is actually a *pool*... You
> > know, you will run out of resources before you finish reading this email
> > ;)
>
> To solve this problem, I don't think jumping from the last label is the solution. What
is outlined above is that we need a way to "forget" labels defined on a component at particular
locations in the pipelines. So I'm thinking of an extension of the label attribute syntax
to be able to substract some or all of the labels defined at component level.

> Some examples :
> - map:generate label="foo" adds label "foo" to labels defined on the component (current
behaviour),
> - map:generate label="-, foo" puts only label "foo" on this statement,
> - map:generate label="-content" will substract label "content" from those defined on
the component
> - map:generate label="-" will remove all labels
>
> What is your opinion on this ?

Excuse my probable lack of focus at the moment (being at Giacomo's
place), but I didn't get it.

Can you please outline what is the problem you are trying to solve and
why you need to 'subtract' view labels?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.