cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT] Configuration front-end
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:59:55 GMT
Please, don't send HTML email!!!!

<quoting reason="my email client fucked up somewhere on this email and
it's not able to quote it properly">

Hi Cocoon developers,
I just was about to write a litte Sitemap tutorial for cocooncenter when
my flat-mate entered the room. He remarked that an editor with an
intuitive GUI
would make much more sense. If someone who's not absolutely convinced of
"XSLT doctrine" compares Cocoon to another platform - (e. g., Zope?) -
lack of a web-based configuration tool could make a significant
- easy and fast configuration
- avoid mistakes
- get more users
- needs time :)
- Cocoon concepts might change during the next time
So I wondered if it is possible to implement a general Cocoon
configuration front-end.
In my eyes, it should provide at least the following functionality:
*Functional Requirements*
- good context-sensitive help/documentation
- the user doesn't need to know details about the sitemap vocabulary
(components, pipelines, ...)
- create/manipulate URI patterns (URI trees?)
- assign resources and transformations to the patterns
- automatic integration of the necessary components
- define transformations that can be used for several URI patterns
- "templates" for standard websites and general solutions
*Operational Requirements*
- web access (Applet <-> SOAP <-> Servlet ?)
- easy to install
- automatic integration in existing Cocoon installation
  (adding a pipeline for applet invocation)
So, if you think this might be realizable, maybe it's worth implementing
a prototype.

I'll personally be interested in seeing such a prototype, but I'm not
sure it is realizable with the current architecture (expecially without
Cocoon Blocks).

I would wait until we have the Cocoon Blocks and the Flowmap implemented
or you might end up to have to rewrite the whole thing again when we do.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message