cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Running Cocoon on non-compliant servlet engines
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:22:58 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>Hi folks,
>>The project I'm currently working on requires Cocoon to run on a 2-years
>>old Netscape Enterprise server 4.1, which has the servlet 2.2 classes
>>but doesn't implement them correctly : no context directory, no
>>classloader for WEB-INF, funky resolution of context resources, etc.
>>So I wrote a BootstrapServlet that sets up a servlet-2.2 compliant
>>ServletContext and ClassLoader and uses this environment to create the
>>CocoonServlet to which it delegates request handling. And now Cocoon
>>runs smoothly !
>Sounds great!
>Does this work in all servlet engines which support 2.2?
Thoroughly tested in iPlanet 4.1.8. However, it's difficult to say if it
can handle all deficiencies of buggy engines that claim to be 2.2
compliant ;)

>>I guess this could also be used for other "legacy" engines still living
>>out there. Are people interested in this ? If yes, I can add it to the
>>scratchpad in CVS. Or we could even include it in the soon-to-come 2.0.2
>>(Carsten ?).
>As this is a new component which is well tested and works and which
>has no influence on the existing system, I have no objections to adding
>this to 2.0.2. But please with some docs :)
Added to the CVS, with some docs and javadocs ;))

This is the class org.apache.cocoon.servlet.BootstrapServlet. Users of
stable releases will find it next week in the 2.0.2.

Sylvain Wallez

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message