cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Reducing the size of the build - ease use of optional components
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:53:30 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > >
> > > I was about to commit the POI stuff, but then I felt a bit uneasy with how
> > > the current build is organized.
>
> <snip/>
> >
> > > 3. Structure the build as in Centipede or Forrest by using external
> > > entities, by dividing the build targets in many .xpart files. Forrest has an
> > > example of this in CVS.
> >
> > I don't like this, we should stay away from entities as much as
> > possible.[also true for forrest, I'd love that to be changed]
> >
> > What do others think about this?
>
> Why do you say "stay away from entities"? Are saying
> take away the ability for one XML document to declare
> and include another document/fragment? Or are you
> meaning the ability to define a piece of re-usable text?

Both. I don't like entities. I pray for a day when XML 2.0 will remove
the notion of DTDs altogether. All inclusion should be performed with
xinclude and an xpipeline definition.... but this is Sci-Fi for now.

I personally never liked books done like this

 <book>
  &chapter1;
  &chapter2;
  &chapter3;
 </book>

this is the SGML way, it's old and ugly and, besides, I consider
entities a huge hack that got sedimented too much.

> The term "entity" is often misused and used to mean
> many different things. So i will wait until you explain
> and provide reasons.

I'm pretty sure we disagree on this and I agree with you that currently
there is nothing sufficiently expressive to allow people to use XML and
avoid using entities.

> I actually like Ken's proposal. It uses the power of XML
> to provide a very clean build configuration. It pulls
> the separate pieces together, rather than have one
> monolithic build.xml which has become cumbersome.

I agree with the fact that 75Kb of build.xml are probably the most
complex build file ever in the history of Ant and this is clearly not a
good thing.

At the same time, I'm afraid of fragmenting the pieces too much.

Oh well, I'm +0 on this anyway.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.