cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <coco...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: Wyona / Xopus (IE vs.Mozilla)
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:39:29 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>"Robert S. Koberg" wrote:
>
>>I thought Xopus uses an ActiveX to control the editing.
>>

>No, it's everything javascript based (with calls to MSXML)
>
>>I could not even see their pages
>>because I don't not browse the internet with them on anymore (especially
>>sites made by guys like you :)
>>

>Exactly, ActiveX is potentially too dangerous but no, they don't use
>this technology and nobody is planning to use it.

Well, no, Xopus is actually using a little bit ActiveX, but just for the
Autosave mechanismn.
The rest is Javascript and MSXML.

But for professional authoring and editing you definitely need an
autosave function.
("Newspaper editors" just dont't use the save (in between) button. I think
they actually ignore it on purpose:-)

There is a config parameter where you can tell Xopus how often it shall
do autosaving
(e.g. every 60 seconds), and Xopus is saving the XML on the server and
the client.
To save it on the client Q42 implemented it with ActiveX.
No matter how you implement this functionality, you are going to need
it, because
the network could go down or the server is down or whatever. And you
can't tell the
"newspaper editor" to stop editing just because the network is down at
the moment
and there is too much risk that he/she is loosing the content.

I don't know any other technical solution at the moment, but anyway, it
might
be a good idea to have a light and a fat version of Xopus.

One last general remark:
I think all of you are too much concentrated on how to implement this
stuff technically.
It is actually already implemented! Maybe not too good and not on Mozilla.
What I want to say is, that we should more focuse on functional
specifications, which
certainly doesn't forbid to vote on fixing bugs (which I did), but which
will be the
foundation for the implementation.

All the best

Michael