cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Adding values to Cocoon's context
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:50:22 GMT
Hi All,

	Hope all is well. I need some advice! :)

	In my quest to avalonize and cocoonize our application, I've
	come up against a problem.

	From what I can see, it's not possible to add context key/values to
	the cocoon context from a servlet subclass for thread safe components.

	Threadsafe component instances are created by the ECM during
	Cocoon's startup in CocoonServlet.init(). If one wants to modify
	CocoonServlet.appContext in a servlet subclass (using values
	from init-param's, etc) then CocoonServlet.init() has to be
	called before the subclass does any work.

	This means, thread safe components that implement Contextualizable
	won't be able to find any context values they need.

	What am I trying to do ? Store values in the Cocoon context that are
	global across all components.

	I've found several solutions:

	1. make CocoonServlet.createCocoon() protected, allowing a
	subclass to override it, accessing the appContext before the Cocoon
	instance is created.

	2. make it possible to defer the creation of the Cocoon
	instance. eg. add an init-param 'create-cocoon-at-startup' which
	will specify whether the Cocoon instance will be created in
	CocoonServlet.init(), or at first request (or by a subclass).
	This allows a subclass to add values to the cocoon context
	during subclass.init().

	3. incorporate Wolfram Eiserts Avalon scratchpad ContextUtility
	class which allows one to specify a <context>..</context> tag
	set in cocoon.xconf that automatically populates the Cocoon context
	with globals. More info under
	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=101559574528413&w=2

	4. any others ?

	I've tried other combinations of solutions (eg. parent component
	manager), but they all have other problematic issues. :(

	I've implemented all 3 options, but are wondering what everyone
	else thinks or if there is an easier way ?

	Any thoughts ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: