cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Burton <r...@burtonini.com>
Subject Re: lowercase XML languages
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:49:44 GMT
On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 14:38, Robert Koberg wrote:
> That's a good one... The person who told you that was either pulling
> your leg, or just trying to make up an explanation. In fact, just the
> opposite would be true, if anything. Since the upper case letters appear
> first in ASCII order, you "could" save a little bit of space by trimming
> off the 7th bit, but unfortunately, not cleanly. Trying to do anything
> to further compress 7bit ASCII down would essentially result in a "new"
> character table, which would not be a good thing.

Wellll... I can see how lower-case tags could give better compression.
It is more likely that lower-case tag names will appear in the buffer
(I'm assuming a gzip-like compression here) than upper-case, simply
because the tag names could appear in the text.

e.g:

this is a list of items: <list> blaa </list>

The list tag names will refer to the 'list' in the character data.  If
it were <LIST> that compression could not occur.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                       jabber: rossburton@jabber.org