cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject Re: Castor transformer or generator?
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:35:06 GMT
> Does anybody know why the castor transformer was actually built as a
> transformer while it probably fits more in Cocoon as a generator?
> Would the only difference be that the following two lines:
> <map:generate src="test.xml"/>
> <map:transform type="castor"/>
>
>  are written as:
> <map:generate type="castor" src="test.xml"/>

I think that it is a transformer because it actually transforms elements in
its namespace to their bean representation. And you can use any generator to
create the input for the transformer, e.g.: an XSP page (not only a static
xml file) can be used to generate dynamic markup including castor
transformer elements.

Of course, it can be also a generator, but in that case you would support
all possible sources of input markup.

> Are there any other things to consider when choosing between a transformer
> and a generator?

Depends on the purpose of the component.