cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Reducing the size of the build - ease use of optional components
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:59:26 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> > I was about to commit the POI stuff, but then I felt a bit uneasy with how
> > the current build is organized.

> > 3. Structure the build as in Centipede or Forrest by using external
> > entities, by dividing the build targets in many .xpart files. Forrest has an
> > example of this in CVS.
> I don't like this, we should stay away from entities as much as
> possible.[also true for forrest, I'd love that to be changed]
> What do others think about this?

Why do you say "stay away from entities"? Are saying
take away the ability for one XML document to declare
and include another document/fragment? Or are you
meaning the ability to define a piece of re-usable text?

The term "entity" is often misused and used to mean
many different things. So i will wait until you explain
and provide reasons.

I actually like Ken's proposal. It uses the power of XML
to provide a very clean build configuration. It pulls
the separate pieces together, rather than have one
monolithic build.xml which has become cumbersome.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message