cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Form submit to XML
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:31:24 GMT
> From: Sam Robertson [mailto:xml_freak@yahoo.com]
>
> I posted this message on cocoon-users and it seems to
> have been ignored because of hundreds of other posts.
> :-)
>
> I saw a lot of discussion last month on the dev list
> regarding "forms"
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99546756928845&w=2).
>  Can anyone (especially Vadim :) help with this? See
> message below.
>
> ---
>
> I am working on an application that atleast involves
> submitting some data in a text box and storing it in a
> database.  I am using the XMLDBTransformer from the
> scratchpad to do this and storing in Xindice (thanks
> to Vadim and Christian)  Now I have another question.
> Can anyone recommend what's the best way to get the
> form submission converted to XML for storage?
>
> One way is to use the RequestGenerator on submission
> to get all the request parameters.  Then write an XSL
> to convert it to the XML format that I desire (which
> means taking out the request fields).  Then I could
> use the xmldb transformer to save it to xindice.
>
> Is it better to use actions for the form submission?
> That way I could validate the data before storage.

Hi Sam,

What I think - it is the best to do validation in the action before
pipeline starts. After validation you can select one or another pipeline
- to store input in the database or generate response page asking to
correct the input. Both these pipelines could use request generator.

Regards,
Vadim