cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] CallBack Style XML Handlers
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:54:24 GMT
From: "Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@apache.org>

> interface XMLSource
> {
>     handle( ContentHandler ch, CallBackHandler cbh );
>}
>
> interface XMLCallBack extends Command
> {
>     XMLSource getFragment( Parameters paramList );
>}
>
>interface CallBackHandler
>{
>     XMLSource event( String type, Parameters paramList );
>}

I'm a bit slow maybe, but I don't see how these interfaces should call each
other...
Since I'm not familiar with the Excalibur event stuff, how would the call
sequence be?

Another thing; here we have a Parameters object and a String being passed.
>From my experience in Swing editing stuff, where a lot of events go roung,
it's best not to use Objects in callbacks, since this creates lots of object
creation and garbage.
As type we could use int, and an array of ints as parameters for example.

> <call:event type="newsFlash">
>    <call:parameter name="example" value="Business"/>
< </call:event>

Hmmm... what about having other xml defined inside? How would that work out?

> The first thing we need to do is put the interfaces (after we agree on
> Them) into CVS.  As a starting point, we can automagically convert
> XInclude directives into XMLCallBack events.  That way, we don't need
> a separate transformer, and include operations that would normally be
> expensive can be made quick and painless.

+1

> Once we have the XInclude set in place, we can take advantage of a small
> cache size, and look into converting other pieces over to the policy
> as well.

+1

> Does this sound good as a starting point?

If I ask a couple more questions like this, you're gonna come out with an
implementation! ;-D

            - verba volant, scripta manent -