cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: error handling !*#%!
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:08:21 GMT
From: "Jeremy Quinn" <jermq@media.demon.co.uk>

> Dear All,
>
> I am totally mystified as to how you are supposed to handle errors in
> webapps built using Cocoon.
>
> When ever a component in my app throws an exception, I get my (partial)
> processed XML (as expected) but it is followed by the error definition.
>
> That is, I get _two_document_roots_ !!!!
>
> How are we supposed to do anything with this? ;)

Dear Jeremy,
 this is a known issue, and basically a worksforme.

Since we use SAX, and the processing is incremental, to augment the users
percieved performance and decrease memory usage we send the results as soon
as they are ready.

This means that the error happens when partial results are already
committed, and error info can only follow already committed output.

If you want you can change the error stylesheet to have inside a javascript
that redirects the user to a clean error page, or simply output a <p> tag
that says that an error occurred.

If you have a better solution, please commit it, we are all waiting.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -