cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject New Cocoon Site before entering the _Forrest_ (was Re: Page Title Contest)
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:31:10 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>

> I agree that we should _stop_ using the generated _SVG_ in the docs.
> It makes the docs generation slooow, the download slooow, and the
javascript
> gives you errors if the image is not yet loaded.
>
> For now, we can easily change the site so that text can be used instead of
> the SVG generated gifs; it would keep the L&F of the site like the other
> xml.apache ones and also solve these problems.

I've done it, and the docs are *way* faster to generate :-)
The site is much cleaner now with also Stefano's (IIRC) recent changes to
the style.

I've not yet committed it because I have to go now, and I didn't test the
pages well enough, but will ASAP.

Now Gump is getting ready to make automatic updates to the sites by taking
the result of a doc build, and as soon as it's ready, I will set it up for
Cocoon.
Next step then is migrating to the Forrest style, but that will take a bit
more time.

BTW, the Treeprocessor is far less resource hungry than the compiled
sitemap, and for this reason I'm using that for the generation on
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/ . Shall we use it also for Cocoon?

   Remider for the future:

SVG images in every site page result in a great performance hit.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -