cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Watson" <cwat...@taraserv.demon.co.uk>
Subject RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection PoolingDoesn't Work (for me) - any ideas
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:25:35 GMT
Michael, et al

I've just noticed a few more recent messages about this, but I'm going to
reply anyway.

Christopher

I downloaded the 2.0.2.tar.gz from http://xml.apache.org/dist/cocoon
(or was it http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist - I'm guessing they're
effectively the same thing?)
very soon after the release, before the src.zip appeared !

I've just extracted EsqlConnection.java again this minute from the
2.0.2.tar.gz I downloaded then - it is attached to this message.

I'm loath to download it again, at 56kbps (UK's not really grasped broadband
yet!).
Would it have changed since I downloaded it?
The timestamp on my one is 11:30 (GMT) 26mar2002

I confirm the one via viewcvs.cgi has @JDBC3_START@ etc

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Christopher Watson wrote:
> >
> > > RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection
> Pooling Doesn't Work
> > > (for me) - any ideasThanks, Tom
> > >
> > > I suspect the problems are not only with cocoon, but
> excalibur too !
> > >
> > > COCOON
> > > =======
> > > The comment lines in the CVS EsqlConnection have @JDBC3_START@ and
> > > @JDBC3_END@
> > > which the ant task comments out if it FAILS to detect
> jdbc3 present.
> > >
> > > In the cocoon dist version, these lines are commented out
> by /* and */
> > > (it's the same in both the src.tar.gz and the src.zip) -
> so you have to
> > > remove them manually to get a clean jdk1.4 compile
> >
> > What is commented out? At least in HEAD everything looks fine...

Torsten
Please see attached to see what is commented out

> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apa
> che/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/EsqlConnection.java
> >
> > The tricky part is that ant might fail to detect that jdbc3
> is present.
> > I remember Stefano has solved this...
> >
> > Stefano, could you please put this into the FAQ. Seems
> people are hitting
> > this wall over and over again...

I'm pretty sure it's detecting jdbc3.present, as I've put <echo>'s into the
build.xml as per someone else's recent cocoon-users mailing list message
I think Stefano's thing was for someone to go back to use 1.3.1 when their
1.4 had been inadvertently left in winnt\system32

I WANT 1.4 and I seem to be getting it in that I have to UNCOMMENT the lines
to get it to compile !

But then I get the failure is at runtime

> > Thanks
> > --
> > Torsten

What I'm wondering is if the dist source build is done using the ant task,
which perhaps does the commenting out then.
But then I take Michael's word for it.

But can I ask again - should esql:pool work with jdk1.4 ?