cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: <datasources> <j2ee ....... ?!
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:44:04 GMT
From: "Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@apache.org>

> Unrealated to this, I guarantee you will run into problems developing
> against Access and then moving to a real database.  That is a 100%
> guaranteed occurance.  I don't care if you are using ColdFusion, Java,
> PHP, ASP, JSP, XSP, or whatever.  If you develop against Access thinking
> you can move to a real database later you are fooling yourself.

I would like to add that these are *holy* words.
I used Access for development on two projects.
Well, to move one to Oracle it took me two weeks. The second is still using
it and crashing happily.

> Access requires you to write non-standard SQL statements, and allows you
> to use unusual join patterns that won't work on real databases.

And as a tip, avoid column names with spaces, that Access can use but that
are a big pain in the ass when porting.

> Not to
> mention when the Access database reaches a certain size, it implodes on
> itself.

MS says that the top is 1Gb IIRC and they "guarantee" it will stop. If you
ever get there ;-)

A *very* serious issue is that if someone uses the database as a file in
Access while others use it via JDBC, the Database becomes corrupt in a very
subtle manner and crashes your Java app after some connections. To clean the
database you need to find the offending record, delete it, and compact the
DB several?!? times.

> I have run into Access related problems more than I care to admit.
> Therefore I tend to stay away from it.

You're not alone, I'm afraid ;-(

I'm using PostgreSQL both for development and site, and I'm satisfied with
it.

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 barozzi@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -