cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Watson" <cwat...@taraserv.demon.co.uk>
Subject RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection Pooling Doesn't Work (for me) - any ideas
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:27:36 GMT
RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection Pooling Doesn't Work
(for me) - any ideasThanks, Tom

I suspect the problems are not only with cocoon, but excalibur too !

COCOON
=======
The comment lines in the CVS EsqlConnection have @JDBC3_START@ and
@JDBC3_END@
which the ant task comments out if it FAILS to detect jdbc3 present.

In the cocoon dist version, these lines are commented out by /* and */
(it's the same in both the src.tar.gz and the src.zip) - so you have to
remove them manually to get a clean jdk1.4 compile

EXCALIBUR
=========
I noticed one Michael Enke on cocoon-dev asking about recompiling excalibur
under jdk1.4 ...

There are similar @JDBC3_START@ lines in JdbcConnection and
AbstractJdbcConnection in org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource

I tried myself recompiling the latest excalibur source dist (excluding the
scratchpad stuff),
having corrected a couple of typos in the parameter resulSetType [sic]
on lines 237, 251, 265 of
Jdbc3Connection.java

but even with that library,  http://localhost:8080/cocoon/xsp/esql still
doesn't work

I now get
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
ServerPagesGenerator.generate(): java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not get
the datasource
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.NoAvailableConnectionException:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.Jdbc3Connection
at
org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator.generate(ServerPagesGenera
tor.java:272)
at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.process(CachingEv
entPipeline.java:251)
at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingS
treamPipeline.java:399)
at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.matchN400552(X:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4b1\wo
rk\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www\sitemap_xmap.java:697
5)
at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(X:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4b1\work\lo
calhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www\sitemap_xmap.java:3003)
at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(X:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4b1\work\lo
calhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www\sitemap_xmap.java:2489)
at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:222)
at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:179)
at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager.process(SitemapManager.java:154)
at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:998)

--------------------------

Whereas if I use <esql:driver> etc instead of <esql:pool> everything works
OK as before

Interestingly enough, my firewall monitor show port numbers open
corresponding to what I would expect
if the jdbc connections I've set in cocoon.xconf were active - cocoon just
can't seem to get hold of the correct connection objects ?!

COCOON-DEV GUYS
================
I'm perhaps cheekily putting this out to cocoon-dev also - sorry to trouble
you guys.

Am I right in thinking that jdk1.4 ESQL compatibility will be a while yet?

Any ideas how long ?

I was encouraged to try jdk1.4 by reading the installing/index.html document
which seemed optimistic about jdk1.4 and tomcat4.0.4b1.
Having already been to jdk1.4, then back to jdk1.3 and now jdk1.4 again,
with all the other hoop-jumping that involves, I'm inclined to stay here -
fortunately I have another machine with jdk1.3 !

Yours, hopefully

Christopher Watson