cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: Xerces2 jar not compressed?
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:13:34 GMT

On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 06:54 pm, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since I've see that the Xerces jar is about 1.6Mb, I remade it with
> compression on and the resulting size is 834kb. I haven't checked the
> other jars, but IMHO bandwith could benefit from some compression.

There's supposed to be a trade off between compression and runtime speed
unless this is another performance tuning rule that doesn't apply anymore.
   I've always wondered what difference to performance it would make to:

	a) Merge all the jar files together into one (uncompressed) file.
	b) Extract out all the jar files into the same filespace and run them
outside of a jar.

Unfortunately I've never had time to give it a try!

Stuart.

            Public Key - 1024D/88DD65AF 2001-11-23 Stuart Roebuck (Adolos)
      Key fingerprint = 89D9 E405 F8B1 9B22 0FA2  F2C1 9E57 5AB1 88DD 65AF