cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [how-to] Contribute with my own tutorial
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:54:54 GMT
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> But I've never heard of "octets" instead of bytes.
> Never too old to learn ...

In the IETF RFC, bytes are avoided because you don't know how to
interpret them. I mean: if you receive 00000001 this means 1 or 127?

Octets represent the 'abstraction' of bytes: meaning, an ordered
collection of 8 binary digits encoded in a known way, but this 'known
way' is not included in the definition of 'octet' which is just a
measure of amount of digital information, not an indication of how to
interpret it.

But since all systems (that I know of) interpret octets as bytes (means
'little endian' order of bits), they are used as a measure of amount of
information, even if this is somewhat incorrect.

semiology mode off :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: