cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <mhar...@hartle-klug.com>
Subject Re: Threadsafe ServerPages (was Re: esql thread unsafe - bug)
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:55:25 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> When I get the ContainerManager done and a new scratchpad
> implementation of Cocoon (as extending AbstractContainer), Main, and
> CocoonServlet; we can start to assess the real limitations that the
> current component model has with scalibility.
>
> Until then, you are going to do alot of work for only marginal gains.

I made some findings that seem to support your thread contention
analysis - during some tests of Cocoon with the help of JMeter, I found
staircase-like patterns in the resulting graph presenting the response
times, starting as low as 20 ms and going up to more than one second; I
tested with 40 interleaving parallel threads accessing
/cocoon/xscript/sample each 300+100ms on the following setup

- Machine: P4 1.5 Ghz 512 MB RAM
- OS: SuSE 7.2 Linux
- Java: Sun, Java 1.4.0 HotSpot Client VM (build 1.4.0-b92)
- Servlet-Container: Tomcat 4.0.1

BTW, initially, I used Blackdowns Java 1.3.1 (after Suns version
seg'faulted at the beginning of building Cocoon via Ant) but a 8 hours
stress test (~ 4.2 GB of Cocoon-generated web traffic) produced a VM
crash due to a garbage collector bug during a Socket.accept operation;
consulting Javasofts Bug Database, this seemed to be a well-known
garbage collector related issue and was apparently resolved in Java Suns
1.4.0, so I switched; up till now I had no VM-related issue.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug GbR