cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Re: AW: some XSLT benchmarks
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 04:22:37 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> "Jacek R. Ambroziak" wrote:
> Ideal should for the XSLTC engine to recognize the JVM it runs in (via
> system properties) and tune the generated bytecode on the running JVM. I
> assume this could give some 20/30% more speed improvement, but it's a
> potentially harmful thing to do since it might duplicate code and
> requires *lots* of guesses on how the JVM works internally.
> Anyway, seriously, XSLTC *is* a solution to the XSLT bottleneck problem.
> Now: only one thing to add: let's make it work on Cocoon.
> Xalan-guys, please, can you give us a hand there?

My question is this:  how does it _scale_.

For instance, The ECM is quite resonable with only a few threads, but in
a server environment where there can be as many as 150 or more
concurrent threads it slows down so badly it is unusable.  A fresh
approach reaping the benefits of the lessons of the ECM and Phoenix
proved that the new approach can handle the load *much* more gracefully.

I would like to see the *same* tests with 100 threads each performing
500 translations (yes they can have their own instance of the translet
in each thread as is necessary).  I would like to see that in comparison
to Xalan and Saxon.

That is the most important lesson we can learn.

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: