cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [provocative] resurrecting native code
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:58:24 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > WORA works because the only decent JVM is Sun's (and Sun's clones, like
> > IBM's or Apple's) and Sun has an viral agreement that says that every
> > modification you do, you have to give the code (and the right to use!
> > patent included!) back to Sun.
> >
> > But what if Sun closes down on Java open-ness?
> >
> > What if we have to use different implementations of the JVM?
> >
> > You can kiss WORA goodbye and start spending your money on 'official'
> > java JVMs.
>
> OK, I share this concern (though I don't think this might happen anytime
> soon). Yet this is a possibility. But I totally fail to see why, in this
> case, JNI and native code might help us out... we would probably just
> give up and start working in a salt mine (or in Redmond, which is almost
> the same), JNI or not :)
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, no, I wasn't stating that JNI will help us if java goes directions
we don't want it to go.

I was stating that since day one, JNI was not used because it broke
WORA.

But since I think java WORA is fake and might decrease in the future,
this much reduces the need to have pure java things around.

So my point is: the argument against JNI that WORA is reduced stands
today, but might not stand in the future.

So let's add the possibility in our tool list, of course, only for
performance reasons.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.