cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [provocative] resurrecting native code
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:48:33 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> WORA works because the only decent JVM is Sun's (and Sun's clones, like
> IBM's or Apple's) and Sun has an viral agreement that says that every
> modification you do, you have to give the code (and the right to use!
> patent included!) back to Sun.
>
> But what if Sun closes down on Java open-ness?
>
> What if we have to use different implementations of the JVM?
>
> You can kiss WORA goodbye and start spending your money on 'official'
> java JVMs.

OK, I share this concern (though I don't think this might happen anytime
soon). Yet this is a possibility. But I totally fail to see why, in this
case, JNI and native code might help us out... we would probably just
give up and start working in a salt mine (or in Redmond, which is almost
the same), JNI or not :)

Or am I missing something?

Ciao,

--