cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <mhar...@hartle-klug.com>
Subject Re: xml-signature
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:29:35 GMT
Jason Foster wrote:

> Now that the W3 has recommended xml-signature, does it make sense to
> try and figure out how to incorporate it into the Cocoon pipeline model?
> I've put a (very) little thought into this and I'm not sure what
> approach makes the most sense.  For documents serialized as XML, then
> a modification to the XMLSerializer should work.  For other
> serializers where you can't easily add XML content, then my guess is
> that you have to go "out of band".
> Unfortunately the "definition" of a serializer is that it is the last
> thing in a pipeline.  It isn't (I think) possible using the current
> sitemap semantics to define something that takes place after the
> serializer, which means calculating the signature of the generated
> content is impossible.
>
> Does anyone else see value in this, and if so, how would you add this
> functionality?

What about a SigningTransformer and a VerifyingTransformer ? The
SigningTransformer would then sign the referenced portions as the last
transformer in a pipeline; the VerifyingTransformer would check the
signatures as the first transformer, either passing the correct content
through or somehow marking the content or signature as invalid. I hope I
understood the spec correctly so far; I guess that the specification
does not apply to other content than serialized XML.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug GbR