cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [provocative] crushing userland
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:43:18 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>Dave said that Apache is the only real alternative to .NET... if only
>had a serious CMS.... ihihih, oh, he's so right on this :)

Following the echoes of the discussion on J2EE in jakarta-general, I
have been thinking a lot:

- we've got some free java VMs:
   - IBM has interesting stuff (with closed class libraries)
   - kaffe (I was able to run tomcat reasonably after patching a bit in
C and a little bit more in java.lang) Putting Sun's swing classes in the
path I was able to run some of Sun's jfc demos. Missing pieces are due
to the minimalistic approach taken by the kaffe people, but they can be
easily worked around.
   - kaffe is slow but takes soooo little memory... I wonder if it is
suitable for production sites.
- I imagine someone out there (in the cold) is working in having a way
to interpret C# in a java VM (maybe slightly extended). If not, this
could make for an interesting jakarta project.
- There is definitely interest on having alternatives to RMI, EJB and
other closed J2EE technologies in jakarta.

We could play some embrace and extend with Microsoft themselves ;)

>So, let's make a deal: I'll help writing a weblog framework (Ugo, I need
>your help!) on top of Cocoon and you guys move your weblogs over to
>Forrest?
>
>Gosh, it hurts my spirit so bad to see Sam using Radio for his weblog.

P.S.) Just thinking high today. I fear reality will take care of my
expectations soon. But here we've got a sunny february day :-)

P.P.S) Expert in debugging and micro-patching to make things work.