cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible points of scalibility issues
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:36:36 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I have been performing some performance analysis of the Avalon Excalibur code, and I
discovered
> some serious points of thread contention.  In a web environment, there can be as many
as 150
> threads (or more) if the web server uses simple thread per connection technology
> (most common aproach for Java based servers like Tomcat).  I expanded the Profile tests
to work
> using 100 threads.  The default pooling implementation has some serious slowdown due
to thread
> contention.

Berin, I spent several *months* finetuning the thread-pool code that was
used in Apache JServ 1.0 (and is still there, used in both IBM WebSphere
and Oracle Application Server). I remember that I got a report from
Alcatel that they were using it with loads up to 12000 req/sec.

Guess that if you need something clean and scalable, that's the way to
go :)

[I proposed this a while back but you and Peter tought it was too
complex.... but I still like mine more :) but I'm biased]

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.