cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2.0.1] Precompiled XSP's and Sitemap's for WAR deployment.
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:08:29 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>>Team,
>>
>>Please try the new "-Dbuild.precompile=true" option in the build script. It will generate
Java
>>Source(s) for all XSP's and Sitemap's in WEB-INF/classes and even compiles them. These
>>pre-generated files will be then be added to cocoon.war.
>>
>>The feature is mainly targeted at production Servlet Engines that accept WAR files.
The assumption
>>is that all the "dynamic" stuff like updating sitemap's, xsp's on the fly and regenerating
>>.java/.class from *.XSP and *.XMAP are not really needed one the development cycle
is over.

> Uh, cool.
>
> Which reminds me of an idea I had a while back:
>
> we could create a 'deploy my stuff for production' build process that
> could also *precompile* the XML files using my SAX-compilation thing.
>
> That would have two major side effects:
>
> 1) performance: parsing a compiledXML file is somewhat 8/10 times faster
> than using a non-validating parser (tried with both xerces and crimson,
> careful: your mileage may vary)
>
> 2) unmodificability: these XML files become binary and you can't modify
> them in production even if you wanted to. I think this is a good thing
> since if people change things on production and then a new build is
> deployed on top, the changes are gone.
>
> Sure, the above is bad practice but would you bet it will happen? making
> those 'production XML' binaries, we might save lots of pain, don't you
> think?

Yes, I agree.  The big thing with a "precompiled site" is the manipulations
we need to do to the sitemap.  I.e., we would have many many generators, and
we would have to select the proper one based on the URI.  It can get messy,
but if we do it right, it won't be.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin