cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Foster <jafos...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Re: [RT] Componentizing Cocoon Applications
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:12:04 GMT
<snip/>

Gut, snap reactions:

- This feels like it relates to the work of the W3 TAG (Technical
Architecture Group)
- I don't know from where the Avalon developers obtained their visions,
but they seem to have hit a sweet spot with respect to flexibility and
rigour.  I think it will be very difficult to find a similar sweet spot
for Cocoon (which shouldn't stop the attempt!) given what I see as the
primitive nature of most web development... Perl print statements are
*still* the dominant form!
- Documentation and examples will be absolutely vital.  SoC, IoC, and
contracts are still difficult for me to understand, and I've been trying
for a while now.  Granted I'm not the most astute programmer, but I don't
think I'm that bad.  These concepts seem more like practices, and as such
exist more in documentation and examples than in interfaces and classes.
- On a picky note, I would prefer a polymorphic syntax that doesn't mess
with the specification for URLs ... we've become pretty good about leaving
these alone so why stop now?  A subprotocol might be a good choice (eg.
polymorphic:skin://docbook...)
- Let's get cracking so that the content-management group can produce that
tool I'm waiting for :)

Jason Foster