cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Kimbro Staken <ksta...@xmldatabases.org>
Subject Re: [provocative] crushing userland
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:59:19 GMT

On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 01:16 AM, Ugo Cei wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Anyway, can't we *directly* use RSS for blogs? is much more semantic
>> than OPML anyway.
>
> You asked for it, you got it. My "embryo-of-a-blog"
> (http://violetta.cbim.it/cocoon/mount/beeb/) now uses RSS 1.0.
>
> You can also get the raw RSS feed by clicking on the little "XML" button
> in the bottom right.
>
> I have a problem now. I want to limit the entries displayed in the
> homepage to the 20 most recent or so. I could do it in XSLT but it would
> be horrible performance-wise as the numner of entries grows. I really
> need to sort the entries in reverse date order and retrieve only the
> first N items in the collection and do it in the XMLDB source. Ideas
> anyone?

We need a richer language then XPath to do that. It will come with XQuery,
  but it's a long way off. We'll need to figure something out in the short
term, but I'm not sure what. XSL-T is probably the best solution today. To
keep the size of the result set down you might need to limit the query to
just retrieving the last 7 days of posts or something along those lines.
Not ideal, I know.

> 	Ugo
>
> P.S.: should we move this discussion to forrest-dev or maybe cross-post?
>

> -- Ugo Cei - Consorzio di Bioingegneria e Informatica Medica
> P.le Volontari del Sangue, 2 - 27100 Pavia - Italy
> Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

Kimbro Staken - http://www.kstaken.org - http://www.xmldatabases.org
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org
XML:DB Initiative http://www.xmldb.org
Senior Technologist (Your company name here)