cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andreas Hartmann" <develo...@cocooncenter.de>
Subject RE: [how-to] Contribute with my own tutorial
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:35:26 GMT

Fabien,

On 28.02.2002 at 10:23 TREGAN Fabien wrote:

>>BTW - what does "2mo" and "20ko" actually mean?
>>I can guess the meaning, but I've never seen it before.
>>And Google didn't find a quick answer for me ...
>
>Binary Digit (aka 'bit') is a number that can have to values (0 or 1)
>An Octet is 8 bits
>1ko (kilo-octet) is 1024 bits (not 1000 because computer work with bit and
>then work with powre of 2, not power of 10)
>1mo (mega-octet) is 1024 ko

This sounds familiar.
But I've never heard of "octets" instead of bytes.
Never too old to learn ...

>if your .java file is encoded in ascii, 1 octet = 1 char (space en
>cariage-return count as 1 char :) )
>
>So you can gues that finding a bug hidden in 20ko of code is 100 times
>shorted than finding it in 2mo of code.
>

>>All articles on cocooncenter are written in xdoc (with some additions to
>fit the needs of my pages). So, if you wrote your tutorial in xdoc, it
>would
>be easy to publish.
>
>Since now, all my docs have been written in .doc (ms word), but i'll try to
>read the docs about how to write xdocs :)

Unless you want to write your master thesis, you won't have to read the docs :)
Just take a file and subsitute the text between the tags with your own words.
But maybe for "best practise" reasons it's recommended to read the docs.

Greetings,
Andreas