cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: WriteableSource to write anywhere
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:52:57 GMT
On Monday 25 February 2002 15:26, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>. . .
> Now what are the uses cases where we don't want to write XML ? There
> may be cases where data is sent to the user or read from the request
> in a non-xml format (such as structured text like discussed earlier
> about Chaperon), but won't it be stored as XML ?

Storing structured text as XML implies that the reverse transform (XML
to structured text) is available, to be able to rebuild the structured
text for later editing.

But in this case, the user might find a slightly different text (due to
the conversion roundtrip) when re-editing it later on. IMHO this speaks
for storing structured text as is, which means being able to write
non-XML from Cocoon.

Another argument is being able to use a CVS backend for versioning
structured text documents stored in plain ASCII. AFAIK, this wouldn't
work as well today with XML.

I don't know which one of "XML to structured text transform" or "being
able to store non-XML data" is easier, but to work with editable
structured text one of them is needed.
I think "being able to store non-XML data" is more general.

-Bertrand