cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Weinger" <gwein...@itmedicine.net>
Subject RE: [RT] Access Control (was [RT] Cocoon as OS)
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:10:43 GMT
> > So, how can access control (AC) be integrated in Cocoon? And how
much
> > would integration of AC need to affect the current architecture?

And, prior to this, what justifies integrating AC into the sitemap
semantic?

How do we determine if AC is something that warrants being "promoted" to
the sitemap level?  What general principles can we apply?

At some level, AC looks like it belongs to the logic domain (vs.
Content, Presentation).  But URI matchers and selectors look that way
too.  What is it about Actions that has made them unsuccessful or
undesirable within the sitemap?

If the sitemap is like a mirror of the different employee roles in a web
publishing enterprise, then I think that the Security Managers, the
Gatekeepers, deserve their small island in the archepelago, alongside
the programmers, the writers, visual artists, and, of course, the site
architect.

I see two propositions:

	1.  Access Control should be integrated into the sitemap.

	2.  The sitemap is sufficient; we can provide out-of-the-box AC
with 	    the existing framework, or address that in the upcoming

	    componentized Cocoon App architecture.  [Stefano, please
share 	    more of your thoughts on that].