cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Weinger" <gwein...@itmedicine.net>
Subject RE: is cocoon symmetry a holy grail?
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:29:33 GMT
> From: Matt Sergeant [mailto:matt@sergeant.org]
> > Tell me if this is different from what you're talking about: a
> > Transformer/Generator pair that acts like a combination of
(modified)
> > FragmentExtractor and CInclude.
> >
> > Say we have a MultiplexingTransformer [MT] in a pipeline like this:
> >

> > 	Request --> G -> T -> MT -> S --> Response
> >

> > MultiplexingTransformer calls 1-n pipleines via the cocoon:/
protocol.

> This sounds a lot like the Manifold system in XML::SAX::Machines,
check it
> out at http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=XML-SAX-Machines. The
current
> experimental version of AxKit is basically a SAX Machines constructor,
and
> so supports this "out of the box".

I like the name.  The difference seems to be that Manifold forwards all
SAX events for the entire document down each of the pipelines, whereas
the multiplexer (router, separator, whatever) allows you to pick which
events you want to route to a particular pipeline.

I didn't see how to do that in the Machines package.  DocSplitter only
appears to allow you to pick a single split path for an entire document.
This would allow you to assign a split path for each individual
pipeline.  But there may be another way to do it I didn't pick up on.