cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: maybeupload not so maybe?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:38:56 GMT
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> C'mon. We should start factoring things out of Cocoon core or it will
> slowly become a distribution, not an engine.
>
> And yes, as much as I like distributions, I don't think the cocoon
> effort should build that. It should be somebody/somewhere else's
> concern.

I have been trying to work on a real light-weigth version of C2 for our
own site during the past few days. In general, one is amazed at the
start-up speed when essentially none of the nifty things from the samples
pages is included :-)

Presuming that work on Chello has difficulty catching up (their last
release was dated C2 RC2 era,
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=61418), I was
wondering whether building light-weigth deployment versions of Cocoon
shouldn't be a task for the core development team.

It is kind of difficult to keep track of the CVS tree while maintaining
your own slimmed-down version of Cocoon. The conditional compilation works
nicely, but maybe we should include a 'lean-and-mean' webapp target, too
(or I have been looking over it if it is already there). A sample 'empty'
xconf and sitemap would be nice, too, just including the stuff you get
when getting rid of all optional jars.

My own lean-and-mean dist comes in at just 4 MB, javac.jar not being
included. It has been built however with Textpad and Explorer handicraft
instead of Ant wizardry :-)

Cheers,

</Steven>