cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject AW: Donating Portal and Authentication Components to the Cocoon project
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:51:02 GMT
Hi Michael,

Is there a concept in your portal components that are the equivalent from
portlets as defined in some of the latest jsr's?
<<
Yes.

Ok. That answer was a bit short :-).

Our concept is called sunlets (but hey thats only a name :-)). The way it
works is as follows:

The default for the following description is that all configuration is
stored in XML files. However this is configurable (i.e. it works via
pipelines
in the sitemap) - so you can just as well store the configuration in a
database.

a) There exists a "sunlet-profile". The sunlet-profile contains the
defintion
for all available sunlets. Basically each sunlet has a name (which then maps
to a pipeline) and configuration parameters (such as minimizable etc.). Here
is an example from the current profile:

		<sunlet id="banknews">
    			<resource uri="sunbanksunlet-online-banking.xml"/>
     			<configuration>
       			<mandatory>false</mandatory>
       			<sizable>true</sizable>
       			<active>true</active>
                        <timeout>5000</timeout>
    			</configuration>
    			<title>Banking News</title>
    			<status>
       			<visible>true</visible>
        			<size>max</size>
			</status>
		</sunlet>

Notice that the <resource> tag defines the sunlet-pipeline in the sitemap.
It is also possible to directly use a Java class as a sunlet as well. The
portal generator maps the <configuration> parameters to "minimize" graphics
when the sunlet is presented in the portal. Refer to the screenshot I have
attached. Notice how the sunlet in the top right is minimized, showing
only its title bar.

b) The next configuration part is the actual portal profile. There
exists a profile for the "global", "group" and "individual". Each profile
inherits from the profile further up the tree. So you can define
groups of users to have different profiles and an individual user can
configure his/her profile. Exactly what a user _is allowed_ to configure
is defined in the profiles.

Each profile only contains the differences to the profile further up
the tree.
The profile then contains the sunlets for the individual or group.

c) There are a couple of other configuration parts I will leave out for
the moment.

Ok, next step is when someone logs on to the portal.

 - A special generator reads (builds) the profile from the sunlet-profile
   the global-profile, group-profile, individual profile.
   => And caches it! So the profile is only really built up if something
   changes.

 - For each sunlet in the profile the appropriate pipelines in the sitemap
   are called and the result "collected". This can be done in parallel.

 - Now that the XML representation is complete, the portal stylesheet is
applied.

Refer to the attached screenshot for an example.

Hope this helps

Matthew

Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----